My bedroom walls were looking a little plain & sad so I decided to make some simple pieces to bring in some fun & color to our bedroom this past weekend. My first instinct would be to paint the walls but because we are renting I have to think of other ways to brighten up the boring tannish walls. I am on a pretty non-existent decorating budget so here are some simple, inexpensive ideas to jazz up your walls.
1. Fabric Fringe Garland – I posted this fringe garland diy (by Prudent Baby) on my recent Fringe Frenzy post. It is a super simple no-sew diy. I chose 4 cotton solid fabrics from Hobby Lobby & got 1 yard of each (I think they were only a couple of dollars per yard). I cut my fabric 18 x 22 inches to get exactly 4 tassels from each yard.
2. Framed Photo Booth Photos – I cheated & used the IncrediBooth iphone app to take these photobooth strips (real photobooth photos would be even better!). I printed them out on my home printer & cut them out. I attached them with double stick tape to a white mat board & used an 8 x 10 frame I had on hand to display them. I love that it will be easy to change them out with new photo strips as time goes on.
3. & 4. Hanging Camera & Print – It’s no surprise that I use my large camera collection to add fun & dimension to a few rooms in my house. (ex. my vintage camera display & my other camera display) I love the size of the mini Diana & it’s one of my favorite cameras to shoot film with. I used my toy camera strap diy to make this yellow braided strap & I thought the colors fit perfectly with my new bedroom decor. The Polaroid Print by Handz was a birthday gift from my sweet brother & sister-in-law & I used a .99 cent Pants Hanger from Ikea to hang it. (much cheaper than a frame & just as pretty)
5. Written Word Wall Canvas – I bought this blank canvas from the craft store (for 50% off) awhile back with a few different projects in mind. I originally saw this idea on pinterest & thought it would be perfect for this grouping. I used a black paint pen that I had in my craft supplies. I chose some of the lyrics from the song “More Than Words” by Extreme, we danced to this song at our wedding & now it serves as a permanent reminder over our bed that actions mean so much more than words. Showing we love each other is just as important as saying it.
6. Painted Letters – Ridiculously simple – I just got the cardboard letters from the craft store & painted them with blue acrylic paint. I cut out a small hole in the back to attach them to the wall with a push pin.
7. Metal Photo Clips – I had these small metal clips on hand, found in an office supply store or the office section of Target. I hung them on a small nail. I love changing out photos & little notes so I thought these would be perfect! The photos were taken with the Hipstamatic app & printed out on our home printer.
Voila!! Simple & inexpensive wall decor! It’s made such a difference to our bedroom & we are loving it! hugs & cheek pecks, Meghan
Hello!! My name is Meghan, I’m a 28 year old self-taught knitter & university-taught artist that lives & breaths all things colorful, texture-ful & magical. I love many things but some of the constants are knitting, photography, collecting cameras (especially traditional film & polaroids), crafting & spending time with my family. I’m a do-it-yourself kinda gal that is willing to try everything once & loves learning new things.